About the review
The overarching objective of the review is to develop an integrated alcohol harm reduction framework, based on the recommendations of the Expert Advisory Panel. The Panel will consider broad policy and legislative matters, as well as some specific key matters, as follows:
- analyse and assess the Northern Territory Government’s alcohol policies, their implementation and effectiveness
- consider best practice alcohol policies from other places and how they would translate to the Northern Territory
- advise the Northern Territory Government on the development of an evidence-based alcohol harm reduction framework for the Territory
- consider best practice liquor and related legislation from other places, and how it would translate to the Northern Territory
- advise the Northern Territory Government on reforms that could be considered in relation to the Northern Territory’s Liquor Act.
Key matters the review will make recommendations on:
- evidence based policy initiatives required to reduce alcohol fuelled crime
- ensuring safe and vibrant entertainment precincts
- alcohol service provision and management in remote communities
- decision-making under the Liquor Act
- the density of liquor licences and the size of liquor outlets.